Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Below you will find a list of relevant issues and topics that may be used for your argumentative paper assignment. I try my best to not include my own personal bias, so the hope is that you take a term or phrase (if you need a topic) and research both sides of the debate relating to the topic. As easy as it can be to only focus on the side of an argument that you agree with, a good research paper will highlight the main arguments of both sides of a debate.
NOTE: Always consult your instructors before choosing a topic from the list, some instructors have specific topics that they do not want students to focus on.
- Net Neutrality
- Universal human income
- Education Reform/ Policy
- Tariffs; Needed or Not?
- North Korea and Nuclear Proliferation
- Brexit; Future of the European Union
- Charter Schools Vs. Public Schools
- Free Tuition
- Paying College Athletes
- Opioid Epidemic
- US Election : Popular Vote or Electoral College
- White Nationalist Movement
- Gun Control
- Environmental Regulations -Needed or Not?
- Teacher's Pay
- Voting Age
- Social Media and the future of Society
- Arab Spring
- Venezuela Political/Economic Crisis
- Gender Identity
- Border Security
- Climate Change
- Nuclear Proliferation
- Immigration Reform / D.R.E.A.M.E.Rs
- Russian Election Interference (U.S. and others)
- Smart Phones and Driving
- Smart Cars/Self-Driving Vehicles
- Privatization of Space Exploration
- Right to Die laws / Euthanasia
- Crispr / Gene Editing
- Food Production / Food Sustainability
- Affordable Housing Crisis
- Cyber bullying / Bullying
- Puerto Rico /disaster aid and preparedness
- Black Lives Matter
- School Safety / Student Protests and Gun Control
- Militarization of the Arctic / Who owns the North Pole?
- E-Cigarettes/Vaporizers and teen use
- Water Rights and the Colorado River
- Flint Michigan Water Crisis
- U.S. Infrastructure (Roads, Bridges, Water Systems etc.)
- Crypto-currencies (e.g. Bit Coin)
- Paid Maternity Leave / Child Care
- Viability of Coal/ Is "clean coal" obtainable?
- U.S. Government Term Limits
- Single-Payer Health Plan
- Cultural appropriation
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Information Literacy/ Fake News
- Free Speech/ 1st Amendment
- Death Penalty
- U.S. Immigration Policy
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- Impeachment: Good or Bad?
- COVID-19: How do we stop it?